Thursday, February 27, 2020

THE PLAN IN ACTION

The world was spinning faster and faster as I prepared to leave. I did find full time employment, and I did start to save a little money on the side in a secret bank account. I was continuing with my counseling and I still maintained my long distance friendship. I had lined up a place for my children and I to stay when I left. She was the sister of a friend who agreed to take me in.
In the meantime he was becoming more concerned with my new job and my distance from him. Dirty tricks were afoot.  It was mother's day and I wanted to send my mom some flowers because I wouldn't be able to take the weekend to see her. I called the florist, put it on my credit card and really???? They told me my name was no longer on that card. Well OK. What a jerk. I was leaving and this would not change my mind, as a matter of fact, it only heightened my need to get out of there and away from his hatred and double dealing. My mom would never know that I had tried but I called her instead and made the best of a bad situation. If I thought this was sneaky I was thoroughly dumbfounded by the audacity of the next one. One day at work I kept getting this uneasy message that I should go home on my lunch hour. It was purely invisible and out of the blue but a sixth sense message that something was out of bounds and I should trust my gut and go home. It would take me my entire lunch time to drive there and back again but I heeded the call. I arrived home and everything looked fine on the outside. Nobody was home and so I went in. On the table, in plain sight, was all his paper work and a filing box. When I looked more closely at it, I was in for a big surprise. He had taken all the money out of our savings account and had put in his Union account that he had just opened. Every last dime! I copied down the account number and left everything the way it was and returned to work. Then I called the Union hall and transferred ½ the money back into the joint account in both of our names. That way they wouldn't question the transfer. Then I drew it out that evening on my way home before he knew about it. When I did come home after work everything had disappeared and the table was clear of any hint of what he had done that day. He was sitting there as if nothing had happened, probably gloating to himself about what he had just pulled off. What a devious game he had implemented and I had to stoop to that level to get some fairness out of the deal. It was definitely over. I was done. I was simply waiting for my chance.
It was the last day of school before summer break. The kids were excited and were getting ready for their end of school year sleep over parties. They were both being picked up by their separate groups and would be gone until the next day. About that time my husband walked in and was on a rampage. He grabbed my son, pinned him up against the wall and was threatening him about some stuff that I knew nothing about. He didn't get very far because my sons ride drove up and my husband didn't want to be exposed for what he was so he let him go. With both kids out of the house now, he was strutting around looking for someone on whom to unleash his unresolved rage and he looked at me with contempt in his eyes. I was next and I knew it. He went down into the bathroom and I heard the shower turn on. He often showered right away to clean up after a dirty job. As soon as I heard that running water, I quietly stood up, got my purse car keys and phone book and drove away: Down the driveway and out of sight, hopefully forever. What a freeing feeling. I went over to a friend's house. To tell the truth, I was like a deer in the headlights. I almost didn't believe what I had just done.
Later that evening, the conscience of moral dilemma was dancing in my head. Maybe I should explain to him that I was leaving and why. So I went to my car and drove back home for a final parting. But when I got there the house was eerily dark. Since we lived out in a rural area 400 feet of the road, if our lights were off, It was really dark, BLACKOUT dark. The house was never that dark, that early. It was super alarming. I went to the front door and even the screen door was locked, then I tried the garage door locked and bolted, side door the same and then I approached the patio slider as I reached for it I heard that still small voice warning me that, "if I opened that door he would be sitting there in the dark with a shot gun waiting to blow me away and call it an intruder situation." What was I thinking? Why did I think it was necessary to treat him fairly after all he had done to me? I backed way and ran for my car. I drove off into the night, never to return. I was in a euphoric state as I returned to my friend's house. I had actually escaped with my life and my kids were safe. My friends' would pick them up for me tomorrow and the three of us would head for my safe place.


No comments: